Your are here: Home » Trekking tours » Trekking Santa Cruz - Llanganuco
Trekking Santa Cruz - Llanganuco
All details about Santa Cruz trekking tour
This very popular trek ascends, below spectacular peaks of the Cordillera Blanca and skirting turquoise glacial lakes. During the tour of 4 days we will be able to observe pyramidal peaks of more than 6000 mts and turquoise lagoons in the foot of the mountains.
Day 1: Huaraz – Cashapampa – Llamacorral (3800m/12464ft)
Day 2: Llamacorral – Jatuncocha – Taullipampa (4200m/13776ft)
Day 3: Taullipampa – Punta Union Pass (4750m/15580ft) – Cachinapampa
Day 4: Cachinapampa – Vaqueria – Huaraz
Day 01: Huaraz – Cashapampa – Llamacorral (3800m/12464ft)
Duration: 3 hours (by car) 4 - 5 hours (hiking)
You are picked up at your accommodation and begin the journey with a spectacular scenic drive along the Callejon de Huaylas Valley to the village of Cashapampa 2900m which is the starting point of the trek (3 hours drive). There are opportunities for photo stops along the way. From Cashapampa we start to ascend steeply for about 2 hours and then the track levels out, we climb steadily along the Quebrada Santa Cruz to camp at Llamacorral 3750m. 5 hours walk.
Day 02: Llamacorral – Jatuncocha – Taullipampa (4200m/13776ft).
Duration: 5 -6 hours
An easier hike up the Santa Cruz valley to our camp at Taullipampa 4250m. 5 hours walk. It is generally flat and we ascend just the last hour towards the camp. We walk past the beautiful Jatuncocha Lake. Our camp is situated near at the base of the beautiful nevado Taulliraju Mountain and we are also surrounded by other peaks such as Paria, Artseonraju, Rinrijirca, Quitaraju and Alpamayo.
Day 03: Taullipampa – Punta Union Pass (4750m/15580ft) – Cachinapampa.
Duration: 7 - 8 hours
We ascend steadily for about 3 hours on a good trail to the Punta Union Pass 4750m. We can feel the effects of the altitude as we reach the pass. From the pass we have very close views of the big mountains of the Cordillera Blanca. From the pass, we have a long descent passing two small lakes and then coming down into the Huaripampa Valley to camp at Cachinapampa 3800m. about 8 hours walk. Pernocte.
Day 04: Cachinapampa – Vaqueria – Huaraz.
Duration: 3 hours (hiking) 4 hours (by car)
An easy walk down the Quebrada Huaripampa Valley where we pass by many farm houses and see a lot of local people, children, sheep, caws, goats and donkeys on the path. We then ascend for about an hour to Vaqueria 3700m 4 hours walk. We take our private transport over Portachuelo Pass 4767m and then down the steep zigzag road to the beautiful lakes of Llanganuco. We then return to Huaraz. About 4 hours drive.
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your guide and group in our office for an orientation before your trek. The meeting will be at 5:00 PM the afternoon before the trip begins.
- Transport: You will be picked up from your hotel in the morning (between 7:15 to 7:30am) and will travel by private transportation to Cashapampa, the starting point of the trek.
- Experienced Guide: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide. Your guide will explain the culture and surroundings along the entire route! He or she will keep you safe, sound, and comfortable on your trek so that you can enjoy your time worry-free!
- All camping & cooking equipment (sleeping, Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs, and cooking equipment (all carried by the donkeys).
- Cargo Mules: For to carry the all camping equipment and your allowance of personal baggage (6 kgs/13.2 lbs).
- Trekking Cook: A chef specialized in cooking on the trail, with an assistant (if the group is more than 8 people), will prepare all of your delicious meals along the journey to replenish your energy. You will never go hungry!.
- Meals: 3 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 3 Dinners (Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost).
- Wake up tea: Every morning at the campsite, you will woken up with a cup of coca tea! Our staff will bring the tea to your tent so that you will be warmed from inside out before you start your day.
- Tea time daily: Every afternoon before dinner, the cook will provide popcorn, biscuits, coffee, hot chocolate, teas, hot water, etc. After a long day of hiking, you will not have to wait until dinner to relax, warm up, and enjoy a bite to eat!
- Snacks on the trail daily: Our snacks consist of local fruits, biscuits, chocolate, caramels, etc. We will give this snack to you at the beginning of each day in your cloth bag.
- Entrance fee to Huascaran National Park
- Medical kit: Our crew will bring a first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Transport: Private transport from Vaqueria to your hotel in Huaraz (day 4)
What to take:
- Hotel accommodations for specified time in Lima and Huaraz.
- Sleeping Bags: Considered a personal equipment, but you can rent one from our company if you do not have your own. Our sleeping bags are effective and durable to protect from temperatures as low as -10ºC. They are mummy form and include a sleeping liner. The bags are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips.
- Walking Sticks: You can rent a set from our company if you would like.
- Day 1 breakfast and last day dinner in Huaraz city.
- Travel, Personal, and/or medical insurance
- Personal clothing and gear
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish.
- Additional expenses as a result of leaving the tour early or additional expenses as a result of an emergency rescue or evacuation.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
- You will only carry a daypack with whatever you require for that day's walk. All you need is appropriate clothing, a good pair of walking shoes or hiking boots (and a spirit of adventure with a good dose of endurance for this trip!!).
- Rain poncho or waterproof jacket: During the rainy season it is necessary to bring waterproof clothing or water ponchos, because the rains are unpredictable and it can rain at the least unexpected moment.
Prices & Dates
Full private service
For more information? CONTACT US
**If you want to take this PRIVATE SERVICE you can book even a 2 weeks before the departure date.
Group departure service
US $ 270
* Departure from 5 to 8 participants
Very good season:
April to October (from November to March is high rainy season, but it depends a lot on you, if you like to walk in the rain and get epic images of the Cordillera Blanca)
Ask for more details